Creative Ways Clients Use Edit This For Their Writing And Editing Needs
A few years ago, a client reached out to me with an interesting request. She needed me to write a quick blurb to promote their bank's new debit card program, but it couldn't be longer than a few sentences and should take less than a minute to read.
I'm used to writing copy that's short and sweet. This one was a bit different, though. The blurb was going to be read by a PA announcer during halftime of an upcoming football game.
"I'd try to write it myself, but I was supposed to have it to them yesterday," she said.
I jumped at the opportunity, and everything worked out. Here is what I gave them, though I adjusted it slightly for this post to eliminate distinguishing marks and names.
Attention [team mascot name] fans! [Bank name] shares your excitement for the 2016 season and would like to invite you to its location in [city name] to get your very own [school name] logo debit card! It's free when you open a FREE checking account and is another great way to support your school. To sweeten the deal, [bank name] will make a [dollar amount] donation to your choice of participating booster clubs. Be one of the first to get yours!
Hiring a content writer benefits your business in obvious ways, including blog posts, fresh website content, and consistent press releases. But I bring this story up because it's one of many creative ways clients have used Edit This® for their writing and editing needs.
Here are just a few.
1. GoFundMe content – Surprisingly, this has been a big request over the years. One client's daughter was going on a mission trip overseas and needed an engaging statement for her GoFundMe page. Another client was trying to raise money for a cause near and dear to her heart, and a third needed money for legal fees. In each case, they tried to write something on their own but couldn't come up with the right words. So they called Edit This.
2. Emails – We send and receive emails all day long, but some are easier to write than others. I've had clients who needed to start a drip campaign but didn't know where to start. I've had others who needed to send a stern email for non-payment or get their point across without being rude or inaccurate. One client caught me just before a networking meeting and asked me to "look over" an email he was about to send from his cellphone. I'm proud that they chose to use Edit This for their writing and editing needs.
3. Social media posts – While I don't do many of these, I am asked from time to time to write social media posts or look over something a client has crafted to make sure it sounds the way they want it to sound. A weekly thing I do for a networking group I'm in is writing their Member of the Week posts to get followers to like, share, and comment.
4. Flyers – I am asked all the time to review business flyers, brochures, advertisements, and other marketing material. I had one client last month share a flyer with me, and the word "available" was spelled wrong at the top. He said he had at least three other people look at the document before me, and I was the only one to spot the error.
5. Creative bios – This is a perfect example of creative ways clients use Edit This for their writing and editing needs. Employee and executive bios for websites and printed materials usually follow a standard format that mentions the basics (work history, accolades, and other stuff). But if you want something more creative, Edit This can help. If you need an example, check out this blog post about a client who wanted a series of employee bios that were off the beaten path. Everyone graciously played along with me as I took on the project, and the results were exactly what Casey wanted.
You can use a writer and editor in all sorts of unique ways. I say all the time that I truly strive to handle anything involving the written word, and nothing is out of bounds. Have something different to toss my way? Call me.
Call Edit This for your writing and editing needs
Edit This is a writing and editing services company in Denton, TX. We produce written copy that explains your passion, promotes your products and services, and helps you stand out. We bring more than 20 years of content writing and copywriting experience to the table.
Whether you need us to write content from scratch or put a better spin on something you've written, Edit This is the local writing and editing partner every business owner needs.
Our writing and editing services cover clients nationwide but are local to anyone in Denton, Corinth, Lake Dallas, Shady Shores, Hickory Creek, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village, Argyle, and the rest of DFW.